Wednesday, June 4, 2014

June 4 – Those Darn Expectations


I started this trip thinking that if I could ride for 3 or 4 days and then take a stint in the truck I would be doing well.  Then the 4th day came and my body seemed to be saying that I could keep riding every day (and I had just done maybe the most difficult part of they cycling – ie. the BC mountains).  About the 9th day Warren rides up beside me an asks the key question, “So do you now see yourself riding for 30 days?”  Well I wasn’t wanting to let myself think that but in fact I was. Now I find myself in the truck on the 12th day and feeling like I failed.  Really – I would have been happy with 4 consecutive days and now I’m not happy with 11 – What’s with that????
Expectations are an interesting part of life aren’t they?  I don’t think it is wrong to have expectations but I think it may be wrong to let them (rather than reality) drive your life. Upping my expectations as we went along really did get me to places I never dreamed of going but in reality there are always limitations and accepting those probably have a lot to do with experiencing satisfaction in life.
So I am sitting in the truck, with James driving, remembering the things about this trip that have met or surpassed my initial expectations.  There I am now feeling better.  Now if only I could get my rear end to feel better. 
I am missing the ideal cycling day.  The other 3 guys have had a strong wind at their back all day and by lunch had done 146 km. (yes 146) and they are now going to do 230 today to arrive in Moose Jaw at 4 p.m. – A spectacular day. These “old goats” are really amazing.

My stats for the day – 230 km in 2 hour and 10 min. at 110 kph – amazing eh? Burned the tires right off my bikeJ


Murray

1 comment:

  1. So you've surpassed your original goal by 275%? Sounds like a huge accomplishment to me. An interesting and perhaps relevant blog on Donald Miller's site the other day: http://storylineblog.com/2014/05/30/are-you-afraid-of-admitting-what-you-want/

    Enjoy the rest of Saskatchewan.

    ReplyDelete