Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 11 Something Weird a Rain Storm and Stan does a dumb thing

June 3 

Tell me if you find this a little weird.  We cross the AB – Sask border and just as you cross there is a sign for the Sask. Visitor Information – It’s 40 km down the road.  It’s like they want to know you are committed before they share anything about their province.

Also, almost immediately upon entering another prairie province we start to climb and I mean climb.  Seriously this climb was harder than Crows Next Pass (of course Stu says that Crow’s Next Pass is a sad excuse for a pass).

We were heading to Gull Lake and all went well until 2:30 pm when a storm caught up with us.  As usual I was at the back and thought I was getting the worst of it.  High winds, lots of rain some hail and thunder and lightening – I hate being out in lightening.  I actually started putting my thumb out to hitch a ride but no ne would stop.  I was seriously in the middle of nowhere when all of sudden a sign for Thompkins (1 km) came up and I knew I was saved.  Of course Wayne and Warren were already there and had missed most of the rain.  But Stan, who had been in front of me was not to be found.  It turned out that Stan (the Physics teacher) had taken refuge under the only tree in the entire area to hide from the lightening storm DUH!!! Warren just asked who would want to be his student (do as I say not as I do eh???).  So Stan finally got to Thompkins and we sat around drinking coffee (Warren tea) waiting for the end of the storm – which did not come (it is still raining4 hours later).  I took a ride from James to Gull Lake and the other three rode on after putting on their rain gear.  They averaged almost 35 kph with the wind at their back and so did the entire distance – 168 km.  I got in 145 (chicken that I am).


Stats for today – for me only.  145.61 km – 6 hr. 54 min and 58 sec – 638 m of climbing (ridiculous in the prairies eh?) – 3770 cal. – 21. 7 kph. 

Murray

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of anything more weird in my entire life, except for perhaps my Grade 13 calculus teacher.

    ReplyDelete