Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Weather Man Got Us


I started early again today and it looked ok so I didn't take my rain gear.  BIG MISTAKE  - at two hours out it started and by the time I got to Espanola (2 more hours) I was drenched and a little cold.  Warren had joined me for the last two hours and James met us with our rain gear at Tim's.  A quick change of clothes and coffee and an apple fritter and we were off.

I (as well as everyone) was so happy to be off Hwy. # 17.  It is the worst road we have been on in the entire trip.  Lots of traffic, no or poor shoulders and lots of transports led to my nerves being entirely frayed by the time I got to Espanola.  Seriously, Ontario should be ashamed of this road.  I have seldom been so scared.  Anyways we got off on Hwy # 6 and it was much better although the rain just kept coming.

Arrived about 3:30 did the laundry had a shower and a nap - supper and here I am writing you.

Tomorrow I will be off befofe 7 a.m. as I need to do the 50 km to South Baymouth for the ferry and as you turn out of the camp site one of the biggest hills in many weeks faces us.  I am sure I can get to the ferry on time (probably need to be there by 10:30).
After that we will head down the Bruce Pen. and see how far we get.  If the wind Gods are in our favour we may do about 90 km which will put us within one days ride of being home (ie. Thurs.)  Not sure at this point. It is either two big days or 3 pretty easy days - the weather and wind will determine it for us.

Day 25 Stats -  149.56 km  - 7:14:48  - 1026 m climbed  - 4051 cal  - 20.6 kph

Looking forward to seeing all of you.  Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment