Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Difference 10 km Can Make and Stan does another dumb thing (sorry Stan)

We start today in Souris MB.  The idea was to do 179 km to Carman.  Now you might not appreciate this but I have to get myself psyched up to this number of km in a day as it represents the second most I have ever done (265 km would be my record and I don't mind mentioning it)  - Did I mention that I did 265 km 2 days ago::?????   Anyway I was having to work on myself to do this.  I left early - about 6:30 a.m. to give myself a chance of arriving at lunch the same time as the others.  They caught me at about 50 km.  Stan would have caught me earlier but he turned left out of the camp site and headed back to B.C.  Some old ladies at an old folks home set him straight.
I had in my mind that I wanted to be well into the 100's before lunch (it turned out to be about 118 km).  That left 60 km after lunch. We met and biked with a local guy and when he left us he said we had about 25 km to go to Carman - I thought, "No way we only have 19 km left".  Well it turned out he was right and when we hit 179 I had a minor internal fit and grumped the last 10 km.
We have a very nice camp site in with 75 other seniors who belong to an RV club - we fit right in.
We continue to eat very well - thanks to James and Warren who shop and cook respectively.
I am back to drinking real pop and lots of chocolate milk.  Two things I had given up for health reasons a number of years ago.  Did I mention I am also eating ice cream:)

Here are the stats for the day - 189.38 km  - 7 hrs. 50 min 57 sec. - 24.1 kph - 476 m climbing (much of this was done around Notre Dame where we climbed 127 km on Manitoba's biggest hill)  - and we burned 5187 calories.

It was interesting to come to the hill at Notre Dame de Lourde (the biggest hill in Man) after so many days of flat country.  The thought of a hill doesn't have the daunting effect it used to have on me.  I would still rather do downhill or flat but the hills do not instantly discourage me.  In fact, and I am not sure this is totally true but I think I look forward to them.  I see them coming, I feel the stress of the work needed to get up them and then I feel pretty good about having done the climb.  I'll let you do the metaphorical application here.

Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment