Sunday, June 1, 2014

Some new Benchmarks - seriuously I'm amazing

Yes indeed - amazing and a tad stiff.  Today I set my all-time record for distance in a day.  Previously I had biked 140 km in a day (drafting Warren the entire way back from Lake Huron).

Benchmark # 1 - Today I biked 171.48 (yes that .48 is important). I accomplished this in 7 hr. 48 min and 56 seconds (remember from day one we did abour 134 km in 8 hr and 38 min.)  Clearly the terrain was different.  We left B.C. behind at about 9:30 a.m. and started into the foothills.  The wind was mostly with us and near the end it got right behind us.  I actually did over 30 km/hr up a few of the hills (Really).  I averaged 22.0 km/hr and we still climbed 985 m (remember a garmin records any time you are going up and none of the downs - there were some significant climbs in the "foothills" but also some incredibly straight and flat sections.  We arrived in Coalhurst at 3:30 p.m and set up camp in a municipal park - we are the only ones here - that may tell you something about the park.

Benchmark # 2 - I passed the 1000 km barrier today -  in fact I am at 1101.97 ( the other guys are 70 km ahead of this number as I missed the 40 km downhill due to the snow strom and 30 when I stopped to visit in Fernie while the others went to Sparwood)  Just for the record I have not skipped any difficult part tof the trip and I was penalized when I missed the 40 km downhill (I hope that is not to defensive:).

Murray


8 comments:

  1. On behalf of those of us sitting on our duffs watching game seven of the NHL playoffs, consider yourself absolved! Can you see the CN Tower yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Murray hope you are doing well ,real proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Murray - that's awesome! You are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone from Quebec. Keep it up - it is an awesome challenge that shows that you've all got the guts and the passion for the charities you are all raising money for! Say hi to Dad and Grandpa for in Cowansville Quebec (Wayne Warner).

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear grandpa i love you i hope you have a good time biking love from kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on one province down, probably the most difficult one as well? Nice work Murray, congrats, may the wind be at your back

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Riders :)

    We have someone who would like to connect with you tonight in Tabor, AB but we currently do not have any way to contact you! Please call Wendy at 403-223-0700 if you receive this in time.

    Also if one of you could email us with emergency numbers for you at admin@kidsalive.ca :)

    Thank you! And we want to see some mountain pictures before you're into the prairies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My legs were a little sore after my daunting 3 km ride home tonight in the 50 km winds...I think I'll rest well tonight. bahahahaahahahaha. ;)
    Seriously though, you're amazing. I'm loving the different perspectives from all the riders. You're all an inspiration. I'm completely in awe.

    Thanks for keeping us in the loop!! Be safe and be well!

    ReplyDelete