This morning was the toughest one for me to get out of bed. I feel like a little bit has been draining out of me each day with the result being that it is harder to think about doing the km each day. However, today was actually a treat. 103 km that was really very nice. Not many climbs (although we did 921 m of climbing) and the most beautiful weather. So I am feeling quite good as I sit hear typing to you from Cranbrook.
AN OVERSITE - yesterday I forgot to report on the "reverse rain wear" concept. You all know that we carry rain wear? I have a waterproof coat with a hood that goes over my helmut (no water down my neck) water proof pants, and coverings for my shoes. However, while they do keep the water out they don't let any of the sweat from your body out either. So while you are not wet from the rain you are soaked with sweaty, salty, urine smelling sweat (sorry for the graphic description but if you have used rain geat you know the smell and feeling I am talking about). The only real advantage from what I can see is you stay warm - unfortuntely the warm I am talking about stinks. I am sure you all feel enlightened by this infor eh?
RUMBLE STRIPS - I hope you all know what these are. Those indentations at the side of the road that are meant to warn a car when they are too close to the side of the road - an important thing in this country because if you go off the road here you are not coming back - You may not drop into oblivion but you will be rolling for a very long time.
On a bike these are almost deadly. When they start up out of nowhere and you hit them your teeth and hands are shaken till they hurt. They also take up about a foot of the shoulder, which in many cases is already too narrow. I have had time to think about what it would be like if the car approaching from behind you hits a rumble strip as it passes you - I honestly think I would have a heart attack - or a least a minor control issues with my bowels. More infor you all needed right????
The Stats - 103.37km. 5 hours 22 minutes and 50 seconds. 19.2 km/hr. 921 m of climbing and 2776 calories. I have a backlog of credit for eating ice cream that would satgger you:)
Off to Fernie (or Sparwood) tomorrow to see Ami, STu and Tanis. Really only one more day in the mountains. Pray for those westerly winds.
Murray
No comments:
Post a Comment