Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Only the Facts Please and Do you need relief from God?


May 27 Here are the facts and only the facts for today.  At 18km out (which included crossing the border and being check for blood dopping kits – it was nice to meet a customs agent with a sense of humour) we climbed for 22 Kms. There were significant portions above 10% (which for those of you who know little about biking this is crazy steep).  And then we did a 10 km downhill - oh so nice. So we went 125.76 km in 7 hours 7mins and 45 secs.  We used 4460 calories. Averaged 17.6 km/hr (just for comparison with the real cyclists Wayne did 22.3 kn/hour) which qualified me for last place again.  We climbed 1599 m. (about 3,500 feet) and 1,300 m of this was on the first climb. I used 4460 calories.  Here is the easy part – we had a 60 km downhill at the end of the day – otherwise my Km/hr would have been 12.0.  I did average almost 30 km/hr for one hour – downhill drafting Warren really works. This was very beautiful country (when I felt safe enouch to take a look).

One interesting sign at a retreat centre along the way said, "Join us for a time of relief from the Lord".  Now I think I know what they meant but then the sign right beside it was for the Molson Museum. It was on one of the steepest parts of the hill so I didn't stop in to get some relief from God - Actually at that point I could have used some help from God.

Murray

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying the daily updates every morning (from my usual perch at Matter of Taste; wondering how many calories I'll burn from here to my office. Not enough to warrant ice cream, that's for sure). The Rockies await in a couple days? Trust you're getting psyched, stoked, whatever...enjoy.

    ReplyDelete