Thursday, May 29, 2014

Easy Ride - Yah Easy Ride

Today I left camp at 6:30 so we would be sure to get the 9:50 Ferry across Koutnay Lake. I made it all the way to the Ferry first (of course I left 1/ 2hr.  ahead of everyone and Stan actually caught me right at the turn onto the Dock).  There just happened to be a decadent bakery right at the ferry and I felt that since I had already biked 33 km I was due something decadent (a white choc. blueberry scone - Yah!!!)

We had to wait for 1 1/2 hours so we sat in a restaurant with all you can drink coffee.

35 minuts on the ferry lead immediately to a 10% 2.19 km hill.  I average 8 km/hr. and spent the rest of the day trying to get my average to a respectable amount

The ride was really beautiful and very hilly (many "short" difficult ups - maybe 40).  All up and down and some very difficult hills but not long like the others. Went through Grey Creek ( a metric free zone - seriously - and proud of it - they wouldn't enjoy my blogs).

We are in Creston for the evening at another beautiful RV park.  I can't see us ever staying at a motel as these parks have everything you can want. I checked out the store on the way in and they have some very good ice cream.  I used 3,700 calories today so I estimate that I can have 160 double cones:) I see dessert coming - I wonder if they have enough cones?

Tomorrow off to Cranbrook - some climbing and a little over 100 km.  We should be in Fernie on Saturday.

Stats - 120 km.   33 to the ferry and 87 to Creston.  20.1 average to the ferry and a meagre 16.7 to Creston. Total calories 3,700 (see above for an important conversion factor).  We climbed 1,400 m for the entire day.

I hit my high speed for the tour today - a meagre 52 km/hr (I have to admit to some fear here).

Talk to you tomorrow.

Murray

2 comments:

  1. Great work guys!
    See you on Saturday!!
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a great family camping experience near the ferry on the west shorre of Kootenay Lake; sorry you missed Ainsworth Hot Springs (north a tad); would have rejuvenated anything and everything requiring it). Keep one pedal in front of the other (or something like that).

    ReplyDelete